Situated within ICI’s Wilton Works in Middlesborough, the Wilton Power Station was constructed in 1952 to provide electricity and steam to the rest of the chemical works.
The station has 9 x 33MW Metropolitan Vickers/AEI turbine-generator sets, fed from 9 x Babcox and Wilcox boilers. The station has been modified a number of times over the years to ensure the energy demands of Wilton Works can be met.
The biomass-fired Wilton 10, the 10th unit to be commissioned on the site, was brought online in November 2007, and as a result the original 9 units were mothballed. The 52MW unit was joined by a further 35MW unit, Wilton 11 in May 2016. These two biomass units, although with less capacity than the original coal units, can meet the current demands of Wilton Works, along with Teeside power station within the same site.
Buildings and Plant Detail
Wilton Image Gallery
Visit the plant detail pages above to view more images from each area of the power plant